Branchburg Travel Soccer Club
Annual Labor Day Tournament
All Tournament games will be played in accordance with the Laws of the Game as issued by IFAB unless modified herein. The following statement of Rules and Regulations supplement the Laws of the Game.
Rule 1 – Procedures for Determining Final Team Standings (Does NOT apply to U8-9 divisions):
The team with the highest point total at the end of their four games* will be determined to be the winner of their flight, based on the following:
- 3 points for a win
- 1 point for a tie
- 0 points for a loss
If there is a tie, the following procedure will apply in this order:
- Head to head winner (unless more than two teams are tied)
- Most wins
- Bonus Points (See below for determination of bonus points
- Fewest total goals allowed
- Most goals scored with a maximum of 5 per game
Bonus Points – will be awarded to a winning team to be used only as tie breakers. The winning team will be awarded one (1) bonus point for a goal differential of up to a maximum of three. Thus, a team that wins by 3-0, 5-0, or 6-3 would receive three (3) bonus points.
In breaking ties among 3 or more teams, the procedure is immediately restarted among remaining teams each time a team is eliminated (to include head to head when only 2 teams remain).
*In age groups that have two (2) four teams flights, each team will play one (1) cross-flight match. However, each full-sided flight will have a First and Second place winner.
Rule 2 – Player Equipment:
- All players must wear soccer shoes, socks, shin guards, shirt & shorts.
- All players must wear individually numbered jerseys. The number must coincide with the players name/number on the official team roster. The individual number must be different for each player
- In the event of a color conflict, the home team will change. The home team is the team listed first on the schedule
- Goalkeeper’s uniforms must clearly distinguish them from other players and the referees
- No jewelry will be worn
- All players must wear shin guards while participating in a match. Socks must be pulled up above the top of the shin guards. All players must e entirely uniformed. Deviations from the team uniform must be corrected before a player’s participation in the match. “Boxer” shorts, “cut-offs”, “Sliders”, etc. that are exposed to view under the regular soccer shorts are only permitted if they are the same color and match the uniform shorts
- Players with casts will not be permitted to play. Splints may be worn only if properly padded and only with the permission of the referee. The referee’s judgment will be final
- In the event of an unresolved color conflict, the referee may direct the home team to wear pinnies
Rule 3 – Duration of Games:
U8 – U12 (7v7, 9v9): 25 minute half with 3 minute halftime
U13 – U15 (11v11): 30 minute half with 3 minute halftime
Rule 4 – Forfeits:
If a team is not ready to play 10 minutes after the scheduled time, the team will forfeit that game. In the case of a forfeit the game will be considered a 5-0 win for the team on the field ready to play.
Rule 5 – Protests:
No protest will be allowed. The decisions of the referee and the Tournament Committee will be final.
Rule 6 – Conduct:
Players are expected to conduct themselves within the spirit as well as the letter of the Law. Players ejected from a match (Red Card) must sit out, at a minimum, the remainder of that match plus his or her team’s next match. No substitution may be made for the ejected player during the match in which the offense occurred.
All Red Cards, especially ones issued after the end of regulation play or as a result of physical assault are subject to review by the tournament officials and a more severe penalty may be imposed.
A Yellow Card displayed by the referee indicates a caution. Two yellow cards given to the same individual for any infraction during the tournament will result in that player being unable to play in his/her team succeeding match.
Coaches are responsible for the conduct of their spectators. Referees, in addition to the authority vested in them pursuant to IFAB laws, are encouraged to issue cautions (Yellow Card) to the coach for unruly or abusive behavior on part of the spectators.
A second caution issued for this reason, to the same coach, will constitute a Red Card to the coach and will automatically and immediately terminate or suspend play, with our without prejudice, at the discretion of the referee.
Rule 7 – Team Field Position:
Players and coaches will take up a position on the same side of the field. The spectators will be on the opposite side of the field than the players and coaches and behind the spectator restraining line.
Rule 8 – Substitutions:
Unlimited substitutions with the permission of the referee are allowed as follows:
- After a goal has been scored
- At the beginning of the second half
- At throw-ins (either possession)
- On goal kicks (either possession)
- On corner kicks (either possession)
- On free kicks (either possession)
- If play is stopped for an injured player and:
- The coach/trainer comes onto the field to assist the player, then that player MUST leave the field. At that time, both teams may make an unlimited number of substitutions; or
- The player does not need assistance from his/her coach/trainer, then the player does not need to leave the field. The opposing team may NOT make any substitutions; or
- The player does not need assistance from his/her coach/trainer, but decides to leave the field and be replaced, then the opposing team may make an unlimited number of substitutions
- Players are not to be substituted after a caution (Yellow Card). There shall be no substitution for ejected players
Rule 9 – Awards:
Participation awards will be given to all players in U8-U9 Divisions. Standings will be maintained at U10 and above and teams placing first or second will receive awards.
Rule 10 – Patches:
The traditional exchange of club or team patches among players of each team is expected after each match.
Rule 11 – Small Sided Rules:
Small sided play is offered at U8-U12. See Small-Sided Supplemental Rules for additional information.
Rule 12 – Guest Players:
Up to 3 guest players are permitted. Guest players are required to have a valid player pass for the current fall season.
Rule 13 – Team Check In:
The coach of all teams must check in at least one (1) hour before the starting time of the team’s first game. All teams must report to the Field Marshal at the field at least 30 minutes prior to their first game. All players will present their current fall season player pass to the Field Marshal for validation.
Rule 14 – Inclement Weather:
The Tournament Committee reserves the right to modify the tournament and its rules as necessary for the fair and orderly conduct of the tournament and specifically to make the following changes in the event of inclement weather:
- Relocate and/or reschedule a match
- Reduce scheduled duration of matches
- Cancel matches having no impact on the trophy winners; and
- Cancel all or part of the tournament for the safety of the players
Should a game be terminated due to weather conditions, at or after half-time, the game will be considered official.
Should a game be terminated due to weather conditions prior to half-time, the game will be considered a 0-0 tie.
Rule 15 – Tournament Cancellation Policy:
If the Branchburg Labor Day Tournament is cancelled for any reason before the start of the tournament, the Branchburg Travel Soccer Club will refund 80% of the team’s entry fee.
Rule 16 – Golf Cart Policy:
You must have a valid NJ Driver’s license to operate a Golf Cart at the Branchburg Labor Day Tournament.
Branchburg Travel Soccer Club
Annual Labor Day Tournament
Supplemental Rules for Small Sided Divisions (U8-U12)
All rules will apply to all age groups unless specifically reference in these rules. The rules below apply to all U8, U9 and U10 divisions.
- Duration of Game:
U8 – U12 – (2) 25 minute periods with (1) 3 minute break
- Free Kick Encroachment:
The encroachment distance will be 10 yards
- Penalty Kick:
Penalty kicks will be taken from a penalty mark that is 12 yards from the goal line
When a throw in is in violation of the rules, the player will be told the correct procedure by the referee and allowed to take it over. Should the second attempt also be in violation, then the ball will revert to the other team. This does NOT apply to U11 and U12 divisions.
- Corner Kick:
The encroachment line will be marked at the discretion of the center official.
- Awards U8-U10 Divisions:
Participation awards will be given to all players participating in the BTSC Labor Day Tournament U8-U10 divisions.
- Awards U11-U12 Divisions:
Standings will be maintained at U11 and U12 following the same procedures as full sided divisions. First place awards will be given in those divisions.
Intentional heading of the ball is not allowed at the U8 – U11 divisions. Any infraction of this rule will result in the awarding of a free kick to the opposing team at the point of the infraction. If the infraction occurs within the penalty area, the kick should be awarded on the penalty area line, parallel to the goal at the point nearest the infraction.
- Build out line:
Goalkeepers must throw, roll or put ball on ground and play the ball with their feet to put the ball in play. Goalkeepers cannot punt or drop‐kick the ball. Although per LOTG ‐ GK has 6 seconds to release the ball, that count need not start until opponents retreat behind the build out iine.
The build out line will be used to denote where offside offenses can be called.